রবিবার, ১১ ফেব্রুয়ারী, ২০১৮

Bond signed by Utpal Kumar Basu, who became a Police witness against the Hungryalists in Court case

My name is Utpalkumar Basu, son of Late P.K.Bose of 23 Royd Street, Calcutta 26.
I am a bachelor and aged about 28 years. At present I am living at 23 Royd Street. I am M.Sc. in  Geology and attached to Ashutosh College as lecturer.
In or about 1962 the publication of Hungry Generation first came to my notice. I was interested in literary movement. Later I came to know Malay Roychoudhury and his elder brother Samir Roychoudhury was known to me from before. The College Street Coffee House was rendezvous of this group and in course of time I came to know the Hungry Generation writers namely Saileswar, Subhas and Debi Roy alias Haradhon Dhara, and on their request I contributed several articles and poems in the Hungry Generation booklets brought out from time to time. I had no idea wherefrom these were printed and who financed the publications.
In 1964 during summer Malay came to Calcutta from Patna and requested me to contribute an article in the booklet which he was contemplating to bring out. I contributed an article entitled "কুসংস্কার". I personally made over the manuscript to Malay and thereafter left Calcutta for Dalhousie and stayed there for about two months. On my return to Calcutta I saw a copy of this booklet in the College Street Coffee House. Later I also received another copy by post.
According to my estimation the writings of Malay Roychoudhury carry a sense of disgust and nonsense. I feel that their literary movement generated into depravity and I have disassociated myself from the Hungry Generation. I had occasions to see the handwriting of Malay Roychoudhury.
                                                     Utpalkumar Basu
                                                 5th April 1965
( Utpalkumar Basu gave the bond on threat of being arrested. He also had to go to England and wanted his passport to be Police verified. However, he was dismissed from the lecturer's job at the College for being associated with the Hungry Generation movement. It may be noted that he gave the bond just a month before the trial of Malay began. Later he wrote praising Malay Roychoudhury's works in the special issue of literary magazine 'Haowa49' ) 
                                        
                                         Utpalkumar Basu

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন